Saturday, August 27, 2011

Update Saturday morning

We have an amazing God!  Dale's assessment days are over; his "baseline" has been established.  He is on the road to recovery!  Yesterday during physical therapy he climbed stairs, walked up and down the halls, and even went outside for a few minutes.  They had him use a shopping cart with long poles attached to the front for him to hold on to so that he would be more upright when he walked (he has been leaning way back).  His speed is amazing---the therapist kept laughing about trying to keep up with Dale!  During occupational therapy, Dale used a form of stationary bike to improve coordination.  He followed light patterns on a wall display, pushing each button as it lit up.  Dale even watched the therapist build a small cannon-like object using 5 or 6 pieces, then built one of his own.  His speech class was thrilling---he would finish phrases like "brother and (sister)" and "up and (down)".  Dale pointed to each person in the room as they were named; he was able to remember where the therapist "hid" the apple juice to enjoy later in the session, showing good memory skills.  He is eating really well.  He is now able to take "honey-thick" liquids from a spoon.  Next week they will do another swallow study.

Thank you to everyone who has followed the story of what our God is doing with and through our son.  We have a God Who hears and answers prayer, Who cares about each of us, Who considers no task too great or too small, Who can use all things for good and for His glory.  Please continue to pray for Dale's recovery and for strength for our family as well.  We are truly blessed to be chosen to be part of this miracle.  Kirsten

Psalm 139:14  "I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made:  marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well."

8 comments:

  1. Hi Dale.

    You continue to be my daily inspiration. I am keeping you and your family in thought and prayer.

    Sharon in Kent

    Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ Jesus who strengthens me".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not know your family personally, but have been praying for you guys since the day it happened. This post brought tears to my eyes to hear of the amazing work the Lord is doing. I also teared up when I saw some of the new news releases of his recovery, I know it may sound weird, but the pictures help make it more real and personal for those of us who have been praying but do not know him, so thank you for allowing the glimpse into what is going on and what we have been praying for. I have not posted before and I suspect there are many people like me who read and pray but do not post, but I just felt like I should let you know today the Ostranders are being prayed for daily by myself and many a folks at Riverview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kirsten, I have been following your family ever since this part of your lives has happened. Living near the water, I have witnessed both tragedy and miracles, and I feel deep down that this has been one of our Lord's miracles. Dale will recover, I know it. But I also feel that his and your testimonies will not only bring praises to our Lord and Savior, but will also be of comfort and hope to families who are going through similar trauma. God has wonderful plans for Dale, and he and your family will remain in my prayers. May the Good Lord bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to hear of the wonderful recovery of Dale. So many have been praying for him and God has shown his power in this boy's life. We are praying for a full recovery and we praise the Lord for this glorious miracle "for his name sake".

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your updates - so glad he is closer to home and had such a good assessment. We will continue to join you in prayer for Dale's recovery and God's glory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for the occasional specific example of what is happening, such as the tests Dale is taking to determine cognitive recovery. It helps us understand the significance of what God is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Such good news. Thank you for posting and keeping us up to date on Dale's progress. I am pulling for him and praying for him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your faith in God's sovereignty in each little detail of what has been happening with Dale has been an inspiration. Thank you fro letting us "strangers" take part in witnessing what God has planned for Dale. ><>

    ReplyDelete