Thursday, September 1, 2011

Update Thursday afternoon 9/1

Thank you to all of you who have been praying for our son.  We know God is hearing your prayers on Dale's behalf and is answering them daily.

The past few days have been busy and wonderful.  Some days it seems Dale's improvements are tiny and some days they are huge.  We are thankful for both kinds!  On Tuesday, Dale's occupational therapist (from now on OT) wanted to test his memory skills.  She brought out a game that had big cards with objects pictured on them and smaller individual cards that matched the big cards.  Dale was supposed to look at the big card for a moment; then the OT put the card face down on the table and told Dale to pick the smaller cards that matched the big card.  He absolutely refused to do it!  The picture was a "See Jane run"-type of drawing of a girl and a boy.  Dale would not pick up the girl card; he kept choosing the boy and a dog.  When the OT tried to show him the difference between the girl on the big card and the dog card he was holding, Dale simply put the dog over the girl on the big card!  At first we thought he was having trouble recognizing the objects, but he made it obvious he considered this beneath him.  The OT conducted another activity with Dale, and he did great.  She then pulled out the first game and he again routinely chose something other than what was pictured---he simply changed the picture to what he wanted!  He can be a stinker!

On Wednesday, the doctors conducted another swallow study with Dale.  He was tested on all types of food and drink, and he passed everything except thin liquids (water consistency).  So his meals now look and taste more appetizing, and he can drink nectar-thick liquids using a straw!  This helps him want to eat and drink which shows the speech therapist (SP) improvement just in the week that he has been at Good Sam.

Today our schedule was completely rearranged because Good Morning America was here filming Dale as he went through his therapy classes and interviewing us afterward.  My husband and I prayed about the interview before even agreeing and also to ask God's help in our actions and words today (and every day).  I believe the taping was successful and will give people a chance to see God's miracle in progress.  We were asked what one thing we have been most excited to see as Dale progresses.  Our answer:  There's simply no way to choose just one thing.  Less than a month ago, he was carried lifeless from the ocean.  Today he dressed himself, brushed his teeth, and fed himself.  He can climb stairs, walk up and down the hallways, use the bathroom properly (usually!), build Legos, read, write, count, speak (some words), and countless myriad things we take for granted every day.  Each of these things is exciting and we praise God continually for all He does.  By the way, if you want to see the interview, it will air Tuesday morning.

Again, thank you for all your prayers, love, support, cards, letters, gifts, and more that you have poured out to our family.  We are so blessed to have been the recipients of such care and concern.  May God always be uplifted and glorified in all our hearts, every hour of every day, rain or shine, good times or bad.  After all, He is Lord---and He is good.  Kirsten

Psalm 18:46  "The LORD liveth; and blessed be my rock; and let the God of my salvation be exalted."

10 comments:

  1. What an awesome God! And what a testimony your family is to His works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To God be the glory for the things He has done!! I have enjoyed following the continual journey of Dale's progress! My family and I are praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful!! Praise God!! I have been following Dale's story closely, as my 10-year old son got caught in a cross-current right around when Dale did (he's fine)! When I read Dale's story, I cried. I've been praying for him ever since and am so happy he's doing so well. I will keep you all in my prayers, esp. you Kirsten... your faith as a mother has really been tested!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just can't get this miracle off my mind. I share Dale's story with everyone in my life. I understand the significance of what God is doing. Since my son has been healed recently following brain surgery then later chemical meningitis, I have come to understand God's miracles with much more maturity in my faith. When you speak of those tiny blessings that are generally taken for granted, I understand the magnitude of the full blessing.With my son's health challenges this summer I now understand even more what God meant that He is the same today as He was yesterday. When we go through these massive trials, they are so challenging and tiring for our human spirit, but WOW the amazing revelations, faith, understanding and strength we receive can't even be put into words that can express the magnitude of God's awesomeness! "Jesus said do not be afraid just believe and he will be healed." Luke 8:50 May "The Lord bless you and keep you;the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you;the Lord lift up his countenancec upon you and give you peace.Numbers 6:24-26

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello:
    It wasn't Dales's rescue or recovery that caught my attention, it was the initial story I read in "The Seattle Times," where - when Dale's and Nicole's survival was very much in doubt - apparently Nicole has said something to which Dale responded "God doesn't like it when you talk like that." If my survival were in question, I don't think I would be concerned as to what kind of language or words God likes or doesn't like. Please tell your son that one person admires him and is envious of his faith.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wanted to let you know that World Magazine had a small blurb on Dale, with 2 pictures of those praying on the beach and saying "he is expected to make a full recovery". You have now touched all the readers with World Magazine. May Dale's story continue to be a witness to God's Sovereignty.

    Saralee from Baltimore

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just watched GMA this morning which led me to search his name on Facebook and also led me here....What a true miracle - as the mother of two children it simply gives me chills to think of the horror and now joy that you are living through each and every day.....God is good....Dale is here and that small heart that he makes with his hands will be my new symbol to my children - in addition to our own pointing to our eye, our heart and then to each other....Prayers and love to each of you!!!!
    Laura Lee Griggs, Chesterfield. SC

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear family, I am the mother of a special needs child and know what it is like to lose and gain back a child. My heart goes out to you and your family. May God bless you and Dale on your journey to recovery. I will be praying for you. What a blessing God has given to you as Dale has made such progress. May God bring him back to his full capabilities. With much love, and prayer. Your sister in Christ.
    Susie Stephens.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just saw your story on GMA, praise God for an awesome miracle! Have you heard about hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT). As a mom of a special needs kid I've looked into lots of therapies and know several people who's tbi kids have seen great results from HBOT. There's a place in Port Orchard - http://www.hyperbarichealingcenter.com - the owner Doug is awesome. I'm not connected with them in any way, I just wanted you to know. Prayers for continued healing! Karin

    ReplyDelete
  10. The interview on Good Morning America provided a tremendous help to those of us praying for Dale and you folks. I tried to imagine any twelve-year-old I know being taped for a national media presentation. Dale conducted himself with poise. My hope is that one day there will be a significant "waking up" of the brain's ability to generate speech and energy; but whether the progress is rapid or over a long term, I pray that you and he will enjoy God as the God of "through." He keeps us from some things; but when he calls us to experience something he goes with us "through" it. Keep on keeping on. Harold

    ReplyDelete