Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Update Wednesday afternoon 9/7

The past few days have been filled with ups and downs.  Anyone who has been in rehab or has had a loved one in rehab knows what I mean!

On Saturday, they took Dale's PICC line out!  Whoo-hoo!  We were very happy to see this big step forward.  This means that they do not anticipate needing an active port any more.  Sundays are the rehab center's "day off"; to Dale, this meant he got to sleep waaaay in and just laze about.  He seemed to like it!

On Monday (Labor Day), the Theraputic Recreation therapist (TR) took Dale and all of us on an outing to the nearby park.  Dale, his dad, sister Ashley, and the TR walked along the trails enjoying nature while I took the youngest to the little playground and the older girls just hung out.  It was beautiful weather and a most enjoyable outing for us all.

Tuesday was filled with the usual:  waking Dale up and helping him get ready for the day (OT does this), lots of PT, watching for any signs of "he couldn't do that last week", enjoying talking with the different people also at rehab, and praising God for His goodness.  I've had several people tell me the Good Morning America interview looked very good---I haven't had a chance to see it yet!  Don't worry; I DVR'd it.  (Is that even a word?)

Wednesday started out fine.  Dale ate breakfast and went to Speech.  He did well getting his voice out when he tried, sometimes after three tries and sometimes after just one try.  Then, for PT, we were outside walking around the grounds and climbing up and down stairs.  We were headed back to the rehab floor and just needed to go down one more set of stairs.  About halfway down, Dale locked his hands around the rail and wouldn't let go.  It only took the therapist a few seconds to realize he was having an episode like he's had a few times before at Doernbecher.  The doctor is technically terming it a seizure although I know that tends to have a negative connotation.  Thank God, the PT had hold of the gate belt and Dale's hands were gripping the rail pretty tightly so that he did not fall.  This only lasted a minute and then he became aware of things again.  He was pretty shook up, and, once back in his room, the doctors ran blood tests to check everything out (all looks well).  His oxygen level was good; his breathing was a little rough at first, but then he began to cry and naturally took in big gulps of air which helped.  After a while he fell asleep and slept for a short time.  Upon awaking, he was fine---got up, walked to the bathroom, sat in a chair afterward, answered my questions.  We took things easy the rest of the day, but he seems to have no ill effects from the seizure.  This may or may not affect his medical team's discharge date (currently 2 weeks from now), but we would certainly covet all prayers for Dale's continued recovery.

It's hard to see or understand God's perfect plan at times.  I prefer having my future all mapped out and carefully charted.  I thank God for the episode today reminding me to leave things to His control.  We have been so focused on getting Dale home that we sometimes forget God's timing.  Dale is at Good Sam for as long as God wants him there.  I told God today, "I'm handing you back the pencil, the paintbrush, the scissors, the glue of Dale's life.  YOUR will be done."  I'm sure I'll have to repeat that all over again tomorrow morning---or even tonight!---but it's good to know HE is in control.  Because I can trust safely in Him, I can let go of my tomorrows, Dale's tomorrows, my girls' tomorrows, my husband's tomorrows.  He is God, and He is good.

Psalm 72:18-19  "Blessed be the LORD God, the God of Israel, who only doeth wondrous things.  And blessed be his glorious name for ever:  and let the whole earth be filled with his glory: Amen, and Amen."

4 comments:

  1. In my opinion seizure is not a "negative" connotation. He had a brain injury from no oxygen and seizures do happen even if for a minute. I haven't seen a brain injury victim yet go seizure free. If they are calling them seizures then why aren't they medicating him for it so it doesn't happen again?

    I continue to pray and hope he's home quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will continue to speak God's truths over Dale's life and the lives of your whole family. These situations do truly redefine our understanding of faith, it grows us in very uncomfortable ways but that's why God has instructed us to trust Him. This brought tears to my eyes, it reminds me of the days this past May when my son did physical therapy after his brain surgery and afterwood he was in excruciating pain. It was a feeling of torment because as a mother we want to protect our children from all the pain. But continues to provide what we need, day by day, minute by minute."Seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness and you shall have all you need."matt 6:33 I've had to repeat this frequently proclaiming and reminding myself that I truly believe it."The Lord has declared that He will restore me to health and heal my wounds, and He who promised is faithful."(Jeremiah 30:17; Hebrews 10:23)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been following your blog and praying for all of you. Four years ago, we were where you are now. Our 20 year old brother in law was critically injured in a car accident and we were told he wouldn't make it thru the night. The prayers started both at OHSU and our church. By morning he once again had brain activity. After spending a month in OHSU, he was discharged to Good Sam's rehab for awhile. It was very frustrating to see the leaps and bounds, then the steps backwards. But we always knew that everything was in God's time, not ours.So bear with it and celebrate the small things, like the PICC line, feeding tubes and such getting removed. We still have him 4 years later. God is so good. He still has limitations, but we know God has a purpose for him and we just have to see what the big plan is. But out of all of this pain, several people have come to know God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dale,
    I was thrilled to see the GMA interview - you and your mom and dad all looked so wonderful. Your walking is amazing and imagaine you are even writing! I hope that Arizona cactus pen comes in handy!
    Dale,I wonder if you can see all the great progress you have made. Your parents are so encouraging and upbeat! What an inspriring family. Keep up your hard work - you are special and I think you are destined for great things.

    ReplyDelete