Thursday, September 15, 2011

Update Thursday afternoon 9/15

We had alot of fun today!  The TR therapist, Dale, and I went to the Puyallup Fair---which just happens to be located right across the highway from the hospital.  We were able to go and walk around for about 2 1/2 hours, and going first thing in the morning meant that there were fewer people at the fair.  Dale seemed to really enjoy being out of the hospital and in a fun environment.  He got to pet a 3-day-old piglet and a goat; we walked around the Hobby Hall with its interesting collections of Legos, Star Wars figures, and china (that one was mine); we shared an elephant ear with raspberry jam.  Dale did so well walking around even though the terrain was uneven; he even climbed up onto one of the giant hand-shaped chairs.  We got a picture of that!

But the best part of the day came as we were headed for the exit gate.  We passed by a concert in progress featuring "Billy and the Hillbillies" (true hoe-down music!) and stopped to listen.  Dale started grinning and clapping along with the music!  He kind of bobbed up and down and tried stomping his foot, smiling all the while.  This was the happiest I have seen him in a long time, and his pleasure was our joy to behold.  I'm sure people around us were wondering why the therapist and I were egging Dale on to act silly, but we were loving it!!!

Even though he was soooo tired from his morning at the fair, Dale really tried to work hard during his therapy classes this afternoon.  He was extra fidgety and had a difficult time concentrating during Speech, but he still did great.  PT had him walking down stairs and working out with the weight machines, building muscle tone.  OT wanted him to draw a shape and then cut it out.  He made things harder on himself by drawing small shapes which were, of course, harder to cut out, but he finally managed it.

He is right now enjoying a well-deserved and much-needed rest of both body and brain before dinner.  Praise the Lord for His goodness!  Six weeks ago, we were certain we would have to say goodbye to our son, and today, we walked around the fair with him and saw him smile!!!  God is so good---six weeks ago and today and always.

John 14:27  "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you:  not as the world giveth, give I unto you.  Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."

3 comments:

  1. No matter how my day has gone, seeing these blog posts about Dale's progress never fail to give me a lift. I'm so happy that he is coming along as well as he has been, God gives us a wonderful blessing each and every day that Dale is on this earth. I truly feel that God has plans for Dale here on earth, his testimony will give so much comfort to others who have had traumatic injuries. You all will continue to remain in my prayers, may the Good Lord bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyday,always, I check to see how Dale is doing, ever since his accident. I am completely amazed each time I read about his progress, and thrilled to know that God is continuing to bless Dale and his family with miracle after miracle. Thank you for sharing your story and reminding me what an amazing God we have.

    My blessings to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came across Dale's story in our local newspaper (Central Florida)shortly after his accident and have been following ever since. I remember checking the blog daily to see if he made it through the night... Now I check it daily to be reminded of how awesome our God is! My heart is filled with so much joy everytime I read an update!

    ReplyDelete