Friday, May 24, 2019

It's that time of year again.

Oh, my...  We're facing another graduation.  This time we'll be watching our Ashley walk across the platform to receive her diploma, thrilled from head to foot that she has worked so hard and finally finished her schooling.  Two years ago, Dale graduated; two years before that, it was Katie; two years before that, Amanda.  Now, Ashley is counting down her final days as a high school student and chafing at the bit to actually be DONE!  Ashley desires to go into obstetrics/gynecology, possibly, or some other field that will enable her to help people in a definitive way.  She's spending the next year working to save up money so that she won't be so very deep in student loan debt once she is able to attend college.

Praise be to God for allowing us the grace, patience, wisdom, and love to help our children through these formative years in our care.  But wait!  There's more!  We still have one more child in school.  Emily is five years behind the others, but, starting this fall, she will be our only child in our school.  Frankly, that's gonna be weird.  I've had a vanful for back-and-forth school trips for the longest time; even the last two years since Dale graduated, he's come to school with us a good bit of the time, plus Emily and Ashley and whichever friends we're giving a ride home.  Next year, it'll just be Emily and me in the van.  We've had a taste of that this week since Ashley's been on her senior trip; Em and I have been to Starbucks once and Cowgirls' Coffee once---we're enjoying this alone time!

Update on Dale:  He got to have six sessions with a physical therapist earlier this year, and seemed to benefit from the extra exercise.  The therapist realized we would not be able to continue the sessions (our insurance only pays for six visits a year, and Dale's Medicaid is "under construction"), so he formulated a set of conditioning exercises that Dale could do daily at home.  Which Dale does, if he remembers or if we nag him!  The therapist stated that he believed Dale's muscles are strong but unreliable.  Dale's legs and arms tend to twitch and jerk unpredictably; this causes Dale to lose confidence in his own limbs' ability to support him.  Consequently, he takes short, stumbling steps and constantly hunches over, preparing for the next jerk or fall.  We are continually trying to convince Dale that the exercises will help him gain stability and confidence, but that, frankly, is an ongoing battle!

We're still looking for ideas to keep Dale's mind sharp and his time occupied with more than just YouTube.  A very kind man at church gave Dale a HUGE book about computers, as well as an old monitor and keyboard to practice taking apart...and, hopefully, putting back together again.  Dale's read part of the book but is afraid of ruining the monitor, so he has yet to experiment with it.  Several people have offered suggestions for Dale to try, and we appreciate each one.  His attention span lasts for only a few weeks at a time; he is genuinely interested in each new project, but loses that interest within a short time.  So, if anyone has any project ideas or areas of interest to research, please let us know.  We look into each new idea, but are forced to discard many of them because they cannot be tailored to suit Dale's physical abilities.

Katie graduated from Gene Juarez Beauty Academy the third week of March!  She spent thirty hours a week for thirteen months to learn so much about hair cuts and styles and coloring and tips.  She had already been working part-time as a spa hostess at one of the Gene Juarez salons; she was able to schedule her work hours around her school hours, but it was still a very looooong thirteen months.  She decided to take it easy after graduating and not stress out about finding a stylist job fresh out of school.  Now, she's interviewing at a couple of different salons, looking for the right fit and excited about the possibilities.

Chad just started a new schedule at work, one that is different enough from what we'd all become accustomed to that it is requiring quite a bit of determined thought to remember it!  His days off, his bedtimes and rising times, his coming home times are all different now.  Probably by the time we finally adjust, his schedule will change again!  I thank God for my husband's hard work and ability to provide so well for our family.  He doesn't just pay the bills; he plans ahead and keeps a good budget and always thinks of fun family outings to break up the monotony of school and work and all.  He's a good man, a great father, and a loving husband.  We are so blessed to have him leading our family.

I'm kind of surprised by this blog entry.  Usually, I'm long-winded and bit depressing, but this post is of average length and rather cheerful.  And, for that, I am thankful.  Too often I focus on the problems and difficulties our family faces, and end with our deliberate decision to trust God anyway.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.  But it's nice to write a simple account of the latest doings of various members of our family.  It's refreshing.  And it's the truth:  no embellishments, no disguising our feelings, no highlighting the bright spots and hiding the bad.  Too often, social media can paint a very unreal picture of family life; it's a blessing to be able to be honest and yet upbeat.  Praise the Lord!

Praise God from Whom all blessings flow;
Praise Him, all creatures here below;
Praise Him above, ye heavenly host;
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.  Amen.

Psalm 146: 1-2  "Praise ye the LORD.  Praise the LORD, O my soul.  While I live will I praise the LORD:  I will sing praises unto my God while I have any being."

Psalm 147: 1  "Praise ye the LORD:  for it is good to sing praises unto our God; for it is pleasant; and praise is comely."

6 comments:

  1. Check out www.masterclass.com maybe there is something on there that would interest him. Or he can become well rounded learning a little about everything until he gets bored with it��. Thanks for updating your blog. I pray and think of your family often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I've followed Dale's journey and may have a couple ideas. My husband was a professor at the University of Puget Sound, and we know that the Physical Therapy/Occupational Therapy program there often likes to work with people needing therapy for no cost. Classes are just about to start, so it may be a good time to sign up. We know the head of the dept and could inquire, if you're interested. The students (getting their doctorates there) are stellar. Also perhaps Dale would be interested in learning about computer programming. Our son is finishing up a degree in CS and would volunteer to introduce him to beginning programming concepts. Feel free to email me if you want to pursue either of these ideas. If not, no worries. We'll continue to pray for Dale and your family. Best wishes, Judy

    ReplyDelete

  3. i never believe there will ever be a solution to my relationship problem with my lover. my lover called Michael Moore threw me out of his house and brought in another lady who he now feels the only best for him. until one day i receive a phone call from a friend in the city that my man is going out on a date with another woman in town, i told her i am also surprise too, because since smith Moore has left me he hardly think nor call me. so after some few days my friend called Lucy called me and told me that she has found a man that is very powerful, and he is a great herbalist from Africa, truly we all knows that Africans are blessed with so much herbal voodoo powers which they use to help much people, so he told me that the man name is Great Matatan a powerful spell, that she will forward his email address for me so that i can contact him for help, so truly she sent me Great Matatan email ( matatanspell@yahoo.com . ) address and i contacted him that faithful day. he mailed me after a great while that my man will be back to me if only i believe on his work,so after 2 days i receive a phone call from sam Michael , and he started begging that i should please forgive him against all he had done to me.. he begged me of breaking my heart and letting the other lady a new heart. he promise me never to let go. now i and Smith Moore are now planning to get married as soon as possible. we are brought back with the great powerful love spell and blinded with Great Matatan powerful Spell , we are happy and glad. so i thank you sir for the great help you offer to me, because i think today this might be the only ways and means i can ever thank you of your work.. i am glad. you can contact him for a love spell today at: ( matatanspell@yahoo.com . )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m sharing this so that other people can know of this great healer called Robinsonbucler@gmail.com, I got to know him through a friend, he cured me from herpes, he cure several other deadly diseases and infections such as herpes. Don’t die in ignorance and don’t let that illness take your life. Contact him also for Erectile Dysfunction, He cured my Husband from Erectile Dysfunction …_________________ Thank-you 😍😍😍

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to use this little time before i live for for work to recommend the right company you can take out a loan from here in the US or any part of the world(NEW AMERICAN FUNDING)i got my loan of $15,000 from NEW AMERICA FUNDING COMPANY without upfront fee if you need a loan you can email them here for a loan here on Email: crown_technology@yahoo.com OR Whatsapp: +12134218707

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have wondered about Dale's progress over the years. I will never forget him! I've tried to find more recent updates but can't seem to find them. I was there the day Dale was brought into the hospital. There wasn't a dry eye in that room. Everyone was praying and crying. We were begging Dale to come back to us. I work in the lab so i was close to that beautiful face the whole time, trying to get blood. I can't tell you the relief we felt when he finally responded! That was the hardest and most meaningful day of my 34 year career. I would love to know how Dale is doing. I've had to change phones over the years and lost lots of my info about him. Please give him a hug from me, tell him I love him and to hang in there. Dale is definitely a special young man!

    ReplyDelete