Thursday, April 25, 2013

Who'd have thunk it?

Well, well, will wonders never cease?  Dale's teachers have gotten in the habit of putting Dale's tests and quizzes in my teacher in-box once they have recorded the grade.  This ensures that they don't get lost somewhere in Dale's backpack (or the garbage can); plus, I usually have to sign and return them since the grade is usually a failing one.  BUT.........last week, Dale's English teacher put a grammar quiz of his in my box.  When I pulled it out, to my surprise and delight, Dale had received an 88 % B- on this grammar quiz!  Whoo-hoo!!!  Then, to make things even better, his teacher had written at the bottom:  Dale got the highest grade in the class!  WOW!!!  I was thrilled, my husband was quite proud, and Dale's sisters praised him briefly before questioning him as to why he couldn't do that all the time.  This was definitely an uplifting report for all of us, Dale especially.  He just sat there with a lookon his face which was part pleasure and part "no big deal"---typical of a junior high boy!

The rest of our children are doing fine in school.  Emily is trying really hard to win one last gold star so that she will receive the honorable title of Star Student in 1st grade.  This is not a one-person-only acheivement; several of her classmates have already reached this level and she wants to be one too.  Ashley is chafing at the bit to be an official junior higher.  She's still plugging away at sixth grade work though.  Junior League Volleyball games will start soon, and she is over the moon excited about that.  Dale's grades have shown us that he will need to repeat the eighth grade next year.  This will help us see if extra review of the subject matter helps him retain the information and reproduce it on tests better or if we need to rethink the rest of his education.  Katie is doing well, especially in Algebra II.  She struggled so much with Algebra I and truly feared she would spend this year in math absolutely miserable, but the teacher has been patient and Katie has been willing to say when she doesn't understand something---thus her grades have been much better.  She's been taking biology as well; just this week they dissected a pregnant cat.  You should have seen the softened looks on the guys' faces as they talked later about handling the tiny unborn kittens.  To my third graders, the whole subject seemed gross, but the 10th graders enjoyed it.  Amanda is eagerly wrapping up her high school experience and looking forward to college in the fall.  Her next activities include Senior Pictures, Senior Trip, Commencement Exercises, Youth Conference, and then COLLEGE!  This is going to be a crazy, action-packed, tear-filled summer.

Ashley's foot has healed well.  She wore the special shoe for about a week and a half.  The day her father found her in the backyard jumping on the trampoline, he told her to start wearing regular shoes again.  The swelling went down rather quickly, but the bruise remained for quite some time.  I think she still has a purple stripe along the bottom of her foot.

A few days after Ashley's incident, Amanda rolled her ankle and had to wear her special brace for a couple of days until it felt better.  She has bad ankles anyway---probably because, when she injured them initially, she wouldn't stay off them long enough to heal properly!  Then, a day later, Katie's bad ankle started acting up; she broke it a couple of years ago and every once in a while it causes a bit of pain.  Katie is still wearing her brace for PE and such, but she's getting better.  I guess either Dale or Emily are next in line to injure a foot somehow!

Chad signed himself and me up for workout sessions at our local gym.  I confess:  I was furious at him at first, but I've come to enjoy going and exercising.  Then, we went and did the same thing to Katie!  She and I have been going together most afternoons.  A couple of days ago, we met with a trainer who holds classes and agreed to attend her class two days each week.  Well, that first day is today.  I'm once again really upset at the idea of having to go to this class, but I'm willing to give it a try.  I know I don't have to keep going if I don't like it, but I'm doing my best not to go in with the attitude of "I'm only going to prove I can't do it."  I know I need to be more healthy in my exercise regime, my diet, and my attitudes which is why I'm going to the gym in the first place.  I'm just terrified of having someone stand over me and bark orders!  As if that's what the trainer will do!!  Like I said, Katie and I met her on Tuesday and spent nearly an hour talking; she doesn't seem to barking type.  I'm sure things will be fine, but that doesn't keep me from being VERY nervous.

Gotta go---class is about to resume.  Have a wonderful day!

Isaiah 40: 10 - 11  "Behold, the Lord GOD will come with strong hand, and His arm shall rule for Him:  behold, His reward is with Him, and His work before Him.  He shall feed His flock like a shepherd:  He shall gather the lambs with His arm, and carry them in His bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young."

2 comments:

  1. I hope Dale accepts well being retained in 8th and I pray that the repetition helps lots. Prayers always for your family and Dale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirsten, repeating a grade can be a great help in this day and age, I feel that it will definitely be an asset for Dale. It's better to repeat now and get a firm foundation going before the High School years. He has come so far; a slight slowing in the progress to help his retention can only help. I'm happy that your family is doing well, even with all of the wonderful chaos that comes with being parents. As always, you all are in my prayers, and thanks for all that you have given us through this blog. All my best, Eric

    ReplyDelete